Constipation is the condition where the person suffers from irregularly slow bowel movement. It happens as the stool becomes dry and makes it difficult to pass out. This is a very frustrating and unpleasant feeling. It is not an illness, but simply a digestive disorder condition. This is the most frequent problem which affects all age groups, from toddlers to the elderly. Constipation makes us feel uncomfortable, distressed, bloated, and makes us painfully strained. It also applies pressure during bowel movements or causes you to miss bowel activity for days. The main actions contributing to constipation are improper eating habits, insufficient intake of liquids (water or juices), and lack of physical activities. It is best advised to keep the occurrence of constipation at bay, because this is the main cause of various ailments due to its capacity to produce various toxins extending to all organs of the human body.
What can I do for constipation relief?
Below are a few remedies to prevent constipation or to get rid of this irregular bowel movement. These are traditional home remedies passed down from generations to help treat constipation effectively, as opposed to over-the-counter drugs which provide temporary comfort and relief.
- Excess consumption of coffee, tea, cola or alcoholic beverages while neglecting intake of sufficient water results in disturbed bowel motions and is highly dehydrating. Consume adequate amount of water which is beneficial for easy bowel movements and for avoiding constipation. Preferably drink lukewarm water. Another method to detoxify the digestive system is consuming a glass of warm water with the juice of 1 lemon in the morning.
- Rich fiber foods is the most important diet for people suffering from irregular bowel movement. This happens to be the most common reason for constipation due to the lack of sufficient fiber in one’s diet. Eating fiber will help prevent the constipation from becoming worse! Some of the fiber rich foods are: prunes, figs (natural laxative), oatmeal, beans, grains, lentils, carrots, potatoes, and brown rice. Along with these, you can also add broccoli, fresh fruits, and green leafy vegetables to your daily diet for quick relief.
- Papaya, sugarcane, apples, and guava also provide relief.
- Olive oil helps in improving your digestive system and in turn preventing constipation. You can add an equal amount of lemon juice to the olive oil. Take this solution in an empty stomach, preferably the first ting in the morning or you may take it at least a gap of 3-4 hours after eating anything.
- Castor oil is another good home remedy for constipation. You can take it on empty stomach. This oil acts quickly and improves your bowel movement instantly! However, it is advised not to follow this practice for too long of a period.
- You must improve your digestive system by indulging in daily exercise for a period of minimum 30 minutes each and every day! The regular exercise will make your intestinal muscles stronger and more efficient. The food will then be digested easily and the chances of irregular bowel movement will be slim.
- Molasses is one of the best natural products to improve your bowel movement. You can take a spoon of this on a daily basis. If the taste of molasses is something that you do not like than you can add warm water, milk, tea, or peanut butter. You can improve the amount of intake up to 2 table spoons gradually!
- Raw spinach has some components which help in improving the digestive system of the human body. You should drink a glass of raw spinach juice, two times a day for a couple of weeks and you will start to see tremendous results!
- Grapes are a great solution for constipation. If you are suffering from constipation, try to either eat grapes or drink grape juice every day. You can also boil the seedless grapes in water and drink that. The regular use of this remedy can prevent constipation in kids.
- Raisins also have a laxative effect. You can try eating some raisins in the morning on an empty stomach.
In case the symptoms aggravate or persist, do seek professional assistance of a doctor!