8 Natural Remedies for Tremors and Parkinson’s Diseases
There are no cures for essential tremors, but there are treatments that can help improve the quality of your life and provide relief from its symptoms. Certain treatment plans and lifestyle changes specific to you may go a long way in reducing your tremors. While curing tremors is not yet possible, natural remedies for tremors can perform curative functions against the condition.
You will learn the following from this post:
What is Tremor?
Tremor, often called essential tremor (ET), is a movement disorder that entails uncontrollable shaking in different parts and sides of the body. The areas of the body often most affected by tremors include the chin, tongue, larynx (voice box), head, arms, hands, and other parts. The lower part may also suffer tremors, but this only occurs in rare cases. Scientists believe that tremor occurs when cells in the brain that produce dopamine – a chemical in the body that controls mood and movement – gradually breaks down. You can feel tremors when performing simple domestic tasks like opening a packet or drinking a glass of water.
Tremor is not life-threatening whatsoever, but it can worsen and become dangerous with time in some people. Tremor can affect a person at any age, but those above 40 tend to be most susceptible to the condition.
Causes of Tremor
About 50 percent of all tremor cases appear to be a result of genetic mutation, which people refer to as familial tremor. The factors that cause essential tremor in people without a known genetic mutation are unclear, but the assumption is that it results from the degradation of cells that make dopamine in the brain. There are two causes and risk factors of tremors. They include:
- Genetic Mutation: People whose tremor originated from genetic mutation inherited from family members. It is an autosomal dominant disorder. Therefore, if even one of your parents has this affected gene, you may also have it. In addition, if any of your parents have a genetic mutation in any area besides tremor, you have half the chance of having tremor.
- Age: This is another common factor because the brain’s function gradually reduces as people age. That is why people above 40 years old are at risk of developing tremors.
Symptoms of Tremor
The following are the most common signs and symptoms of tremor:
- Shaky voice (when tremor affects the voice box)
- Trouble opening, drinking, writing, holding, or doing small things
- Head nodding
- Shaky hands (a slight, rapid movement that occurs more than five times in a second)
- Difficulty holding small objects
- Tremor begins gradually on one side of the body, and it is often more prominent on that side.
- It can worsen with movement.
- Temperature extremes, caffeine, fatigue or stress can aggravate tremor
- It can cause a yes-yes or no-no movement of the head
- Most tremors start from the hand. It can either affect one hand or both
- Memory problems
- Sleep problems
- Increased fall
- Difficulty swallowing or blinking
- Muffled, quiet speech
- Rigid or blank facial expressions
- Problem with balance, causing a tendency to fall
- Stiffness of trunk, legs, and arms
- Slow movement
Due to the wide use of dopamine throughout the body, early signs of tremor can take many forms that you may overlook at first; such signs include:
- Stooped posture
- Voice changes
- Small, cramped handwriting
- Anosmia (decreased sense of smell)
Tremors often occur during movements. You hardly feel then when you are resting or idle. Sometimes they come and go. However, with age and stress, the tremor can last long.
Parkinson’s disease is about the same as the typical tremor, a progressive neurological condition affecting balance and movement. Through the various stages of Parkinson’s, tremors can change from one stage to another. These stages can progress gradually for months or even years.
The Stages of Parkinson’s
- Stage 1: The tremor may be mild, and its symptoms do not affect daily activities.
- Stage 2: Moderate symptoms that begin to affect both sides of the body, but living independently is still possible.
- Stage 3: This is the stage where the symptoms typically become severe. The symptoms increase and significantly affect daily activities. Movement restrictions and falls tend to increase at this stage.
- Stage 4: The noticeable symptoms have become severe at this stage, but you may still be able to stand on your own. Living alone might be a challenging task because of falls and movement restrictions.
- Stage 5: Severe symptoms may indicate that you cannot move without assistance. This is the stage where you experience severe dementia or hallucination.
Types of Parkinson’s Tremor
Tremors have many types. The type and location of the tremor you suffer may give you necessary clues about why it is occurring and how it could trigger the development of other conditions later on. There are two categories of tremors: resting and action tremors.
Resting tremors are the categories of tremor that occurs when the body is at rest. Resting tremors typically affect only the muscles of the hands or fingers, and they shake when the muscles in that area are resting.
2. Action Tremors
These kinds of tremors occur when the body is moving, especially during voluntary muscle actions. Action tremors are of several types, and a person can experience more than one type of action tremor.
- Postural tremor occurs when you act against gravity, such as holding your arms out in front of you.
- Kinetic tremor occurs with voluntary movement, even with minor actions like opening and closing the eyes.
- Intention tremor occurs when your movement is purposeful, like touching your nose or finger. For some people, this tremor worsens as you move your limb closer to your target location.
- Task-specific tremor affects specific skilled tasks. For instance, these tremors may occur when you’re speaking or writing.
- Isometric tremor occurs when you contract a muscle without any movement, such as holding a dumbbell in a steady position.
8 Natural Remedies for Tremors
Along with the natural remedies for tremors, you can also take some natural supplements to boost the healing process. It is always better to choose natural ways to cure your condition and its symptoms. Below are a few effective and excellent natural remedies for tremors:
Magnesium is one of the most vital natural remedies for tremors. Various researchers have discovered that taking magnesium supplements each day can give you relief from the symptoms of tremors in your hands. Magnesium can also cure the condition. But first, you should talk to a doctor before taking magnesium supplements if you are already using another prescribed medication.
Alternatively, you can also add food rich in magnesium to your diet. A few of such foods include the following:
- Seafood like tuna, mackerel, salmon
- Vegetables like sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, peas
- Legumes like kidney beans, lentils, soybeans, and chickpeas
- Seeds and nuts like sunflower, pumpkin
- Fruit like raspberries, banana, avocado, and figs
- Green leafy vegetables like kale and spinach
Valerian is a natural herb. This herb is popular for curing essential tremors. The effects of valerian can abate shaky hands, calm down the nerves, relax them, and give you a peaceful sleep. You can use this herb to cure essential tremors in your hands.
- Extract the roots of valerian
- Grind them into a paste with the aid of some water
- Allow this paste to dissolve in a glass of lukewarm water
- Drink it regularly for the best results
3. Stress Balls
A stress ball or any other rubber ball can strengthen your hand muscles, which can cure essential tremors in your hands.
- Keep the stress ball in your hands
- Squeeze it as tightly as you can
- Allow it to remain tightly squeezed in your hands for a few seconds, release, and then repeat.
- Repeat this process about 10 times twice a day to relieve the shaky hands.
Skullcap is a herb used as an anti-anxiety, anti-stress, and mild relaxant herb. Skullcap is a cure for essential tremors in Ayurveda. Research has revealed that this herb has calming properties, so it helps tremor sufferers calm down their limbs and nerves. Skullcap does not only cure essential tremor but also provide relief from convulsions. However, you must use the recommended amount of skullcap to avoid some complications.
- Consume 2 to 2 kg of American Skullcap each day
- You can boil the herb in water for 5 minutes
- Then cover it and allow it to steep
- Strain and drink the water for ultimate relief
Passionflower has been the favorite herbal choice in both America and Europe for a very long time to treat seizures and anxiety. In addition, Americans majorly use passionflower to relax their mind, body, and soul. Some scientists have suggested that passionflower calms the body by monitoring the increasing levels of gamma-aminobutyric acid within the brain. If there are low levels of GABA in the brain, the brain becomes calm and relaxed.
- Take 1 teaspoon of dried passionflower
- Pour them into a pan filled with water
- Let the mixture boil until the water becomes half of its volume
- Then cover the content and leave it to steep for about 5 minutes
- Strain and drink the decoction
- Practice this two times each day for the cure of essential tremor symptoms
6. Kava Kava
Kava kava is a traditional ceremonial drink among people in the Pacific Islands. People there use kava kava as a laxative agent. However, how or why kava kava works to relax the mind is still unclear. Kava kava can effectively treat disorders like insomnia, essential tremors, anxiety, nervous breakdown, and stress. However, it would help if you cared about how much kava you consume for overdose can damage the liver. Therefore, it would be wise to consult your healthcare provider before consuming kava.
7. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are popular for their numerous and immense health benefits. These acids can coat the nerves’ myelin, protect the health of neurons by getting rid of any damage to them, and reduce inflammation in the blood vessels or nerves. Therefore, you should plan a diet rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to cure essential tremors. You can find an adequate amount of the two omegas in seafood. Consume as much as flaxseed oil, salmon, tuna, cod liver oil, and fish oil to cure your tremor condition.
Lavender is another excellent cure for tremors in Ayurveda. The lavender oil contains ingredients capable of effectively curing essential tremors in the hands. Lavender works by promoting and enhancing the growth of the nervous system. Additionally, lavender is also effective in fighting anxiety, depression and calming down your nerves. Lavender also helps relax and strengthen the muscles of your limbs by eliminating spasms and thus preventing the shaking of the hands.
- Take a teaspoon of dried lavender flower and boil it with water
- Allow it to simmer for about 5 minutes before covering it with a lid
- Strain and drink the liquid as it is
Essential tremor is a disorder that affects people over 40 years old. If you are a sufferer of essential tremors, then you should opt for natural remedies for tremors to treat the condition. Following the natural way can be the best decision because they provide wonderful results without serious side effects. Any of the remedies given above are available for you to follow because they are completely natural and effective.
Vegetables, legumes, fruits, Whole cereal grains, Fish, Mono saturated fatty acids, and Low levels of dairy, meat, and poultry are some of the best-preferred supplements for Tremors.
Yes, as it is the combination of marjoram and rosemary that helps to reduce inflammation and muscle spasm. So due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a great choice for Tremors.
Rhythmic shaking in the hands, arms, head, legs, or torso, shaky voice, difficulty writing or drawing, and problems holding and controlling utensils, such as a spoon, are the most common symptoms of Tremors.
The information contained in this post is for educational purposes only. Always consult your primary care doctor before using the remedies that are provided. The information is provided by The Hidden Cures and while we do timely, in-depth research on the information that we provide to you, everything stated may not be up to date or accurate from the time it was written.