Ovarian cysts are common and usually considered normal among females. In most cases, ovarian cysts go on their own without seeking treatment. But, depending on the cause or type of ovarian cysts, females may have to undergo proper treatment strategies to reduce the risk of side effects such as pain, infertility, or pregnancy complications.
Table of Contents
Natural remedies can be an effective way of treating ovarian cysts. These remedies cause the shrinkage of ovarian cysts without causing any severe side effects. Here we will discuss all the natural remedies for ovarian cysts, so keep reading.
What Are Ovarian Cysts?
The clusters of unwanted cells that combine to form a sac and fill with fluids are termed cysts. When these cysts grow in ovaries or on the ovarian surface, they are termed ovarian cysts. Two ovaries are present in the female body, located on each side of the uterus, and responsible for the eggs’ development and maturation.
Ovarian cysts are usually not dangerous. It commonly occurs among females and recovers within a few months without causing pain or complications. But in some cases, these cysts can burst. The material released because of this bursting can cause serious health complications. Therefore, it is recommended to undergo regular pelvic testing and follow the condition, which can lead to severe complications.
What Are The Symptoms Of Ovarian Cysts?
Mostly, ovarian cysts do not cause any symptoms. In cases when cysts grow larger, females can experience any of the below-mentioned symptoms.
- Dull or sharp pelvic pain
- The feeling of heaviness in the lower abdomen
- The sensation of fullness or pressure in the lower abdomen
What Are The Causes Of Ovarian Cysts?
In most cases, ovarian cysts are formed because of menstrual cycle abnormalities. These types of cysts include follicular cysts and corpus luteum cysts. In rare cases, other causes, such as dermoid cysts, cystadenoma, and endometrioma, can also be responsible for ovarian cyst formation.
Follicular cyst: In ovaries, eggs are released after follicles rupture. When the follicle does not rupture and keeps growing without releasing eggs, it forms follicular cysts.
Corpus luteum cyst: Follicles, after releasing the eggs, convert into corpus luteum. Sometimes, the corpus luteum keeps growing due to its failure to regress, leading to corpus luteum cysts forming.
Dermoid cyst: This kind of cyst develops from germ cells in the ovaries. Besides fluid, this cyst can contain hair and skin particles.
Cystadenoma: These cysts form on the ovarian surface, often filled with water or mucus.
Endometrioma: In this condition, tissues start growing outside the uterus. If these tissues attach to the ovaries, we will say that ovarian cysts are formed because of endometrioma.
Natural Remedies For Ovarian Cysts
Below are mentioned seven efficient natural ways to help females alleviate ovarian cysts.
Apply Castor oil
Castor oil is one of the effective natural remedies for ovarian cysts. Combining the unique chemical compounds induces special healing properties in castor oil, which can help females reduce the size of the cysts and boost recovery. Let’s learn about the abilities which make castor oil effective for ovarian cysts.
- It works as the discutient (an agent capable of removing diseased cells from the body). It promotes the removal of abnormal cells (responsible for cyst formation).
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. Most of the cases, inflammation is the reason for the formation of cysts in the body. By reducing inflammation, castor oil can help females reduce the risk of complications associated with ovarian cysts.
- Castor oil also can remove infectious bacteria from the body. In some cases, severe pelvic infection, when spread into the ovaries, leads to cysts forming in the ovaries. Curing this infection can be a helpful step in controlling ovarian cyst formation.
- It boosts the functioning of the immune system. Increased immunity can remove the toxins responsible for the formation of cysts in the ovaries, which further helps females effectively alleviate their symptoms.
Now, after learning about the healing properties of castor oil, the question is how to use it for ovarian cysts. Here we have mentioned the two ways of using castor oil for ovarian cysts.
- Take a small volume of the castor oil in the mid of your palm. Rub it and apply it to the lower abdomen where the ovaries are located. After adequately applying castor oil, you can lie down to allow the oil to absorb into the skin and produce a local effect efficiently. You can also use a hot water bottle to allow oil to sink or absorb deeper in the lower abdomen. The hot water bottle also helps you reduce the pain caused by ovarian cysts. This function is accomplished by the boosted blood supply in the ovaries to a higher applied temperature.
- Prepare a castor oil pack. You must add a small volume of castor oil (quite enough to soak a wool flannel properly) into a bowl or a cup. Soak the wool flannel in it and allow sufficient absorption of the oil in the flannel. Remove extra oil by slightly squeezing the wool. Apply it on the ovaries (lower abdomen). Lie down. You can also use a hot water bottle by keeping it on the wool flannel while applying.
Ginger, a widely used spice, is also considered effective for alleviating ovarian cysts naturally. It works by shrinking the size of the cysts and alleviating the related symptoms in females. Due to this property, ginger is also recommended for females suffering from polycystic ovaries. Let’s find out what properties which make ginger good for ovarian cysts.
It acts as an antioxidant. It prevents the body cells, including the ovarian cells, from damage by restricting the oxidation caused by free radical formation in the body. It can further help maintain ovarian health and reduce the risk of ovarian cyst-related complications.
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. Recovery from inflammation is one of the vital steps needed to reduce cysts’ severity effectively. Remember, inflammation can be the potent reason for cyst formation and the leading cause for worsening the condition while suffering from cysts.
- It acts as a caner-fighting agent. Ginger can restrict and remove abnormal or diseased cells from the body. Fighting the abnormal cell growth responsible for the cyst formation in the ovaries helps shrink the cyst size.
After knowing about the healing properties of ginger, the question is how to use ginger for ovarian cysts. You can increase your ginger consumption by taking ginger tea, drinking ginger juice, and using chewable ginger supplements.
Consume Beet Root
Beets or beetroots (taproot part of beet plant) is also considered effective for alleviating ovarian cysts naturally. It is because of the unique compound known as betacyanins (reddish-violet pigment present in beets). This compound imparts remarkable therapeutic properties to beets and is useful for ovarian cysts. Here are the properties that make beetroot a natural remedy for ovarian cysts.
- It acts as a natural antioxidant, anti-cancer, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. All of these properties help to heal ovarian cysts, as discussed earlier.
- It acts as a neuroprotective. By protecting and ensuring the healthy functioning of the nerve cells, beetroot improves signaling to the ovaries. It can help regulate ovarian function and reduce the risk of cyst formation.
- It acts as a natural cleanser. Betacyanin boosts the functioning of the liver by removing harmful toxins from the body. Thus, the toxins responsible for ovarian cysts can also be eliminated, alleviating the chronic symptoms.
You can increase the intake of betacyanin by making beet juice. Add a beet, an apple, and a carrot in a grinder or a juicer and prepare juice by adding the required amount of water.
Use Apply Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is often considered useful for ovarian cysts. Studies have found it effective for females suffering from polycystic ovaries. Its working principle lies in its ability to lower the blood sugar level, further reducing the complications associated with polycystic ovaries.
For ovarian cysts, apple cider vinegar can work by shrinking their size. Females can go with daily consumption of apple cider vinegar to alleviate the symptoms of ovarian cysts. Remember, the use of apple cider vinegar is not officially prescribed. Also, there is a lacking of scientific evidence which can prove the healing effects of apple cider vinegar for ovarian cysts. Therefore, this natural remedy may be beneficial to some and ineffective to others. The factors that decide the efficacy of apple cider vinegar are also unknown.
Use Essential Oils
Essential oils can be effective in treating ovarian cysts naturally. These oils are concentrated extracts from specific plant materials and offer unique chemical compositions, therapeutic for different diseases. Essential oils can help females with ovarian cysts, including lavender, frankincense, geranium, and cypress oil.
You can also add castor oil to the abovementioned essential oil before applying it to the ovaries. It will help in boosting the cysts shrinking abilities of the oils. Prepare a mixture by adding a few drops of castor oil in any essential oil and apply on the ovaries twice a day. You can follow any of the applying methods we discussed in castor oil.
Reduce Estrogen Levels
Elevated estrogen level is the commonest cause of ovarian cysts. Females with ovarian cysts are always recommended to control their estrogen levels by avoiding all the factors that can trigger estrogen production in the female body. Here are some precautions to help females prevent elevated estrogen levels in their blood.
- Avoid exposure to xenoestrogens and estrogens
- Eliminate soy food from your diet
- Avoid using plastic for heating food
- Avoid drinking and eating from plastic bottles and plates
- Use mineral oil-free and parabens-free cosmetic and skin care products
- Add only organic food to your daily diet
- Avoid synthetic chemicals in body washes
Heat is not a remedy for shrinkage or removal of ovarian cysts. However, it can help alleviate symptoms, making ovarian cysts less uncomfortable for patients. Heat can reduce the pain and inflammation caused by ovarian cysts.
You can follow different methodologies for applying heat to the ovaries. Here’re mentioned some of the easiest ways for heat application.
- Take a towel and heat it in the microwave. Ensure the temperature must be low enough to burn the skin. Apply the heated towel to the lower abdomen with gentle pressing.
- Take a bath with heated water. You can fill a bathtub with hot water (hot enough to be bearable by the skin, avoid overheating). Relax in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
But how does heat help in reducing the pain? Look, when there is an increase in the external environment for any reason, such as hot weather or the application of a hot towel or water, there starts a mechanism of releasing the excess heat out of the body to maintain the body temperature. This function is accomplished by vasodilations, which, through excess blood supply, cause heat dissipation out of the body. The same is the working principle of heat for pain relief. Increased blood flow also helps reduce inflammation and pain by boosting the functioning of hormones and removing toxins.
Now, you must be clear about the natural remedies for ovarian cysts.
In most cases, ovarian cysts are harmless and recover on their own. However, you can use any of the natural remedies discussed above to boost your recovery. These remedies will help you shrink the size of the ovarian cysts and alleviate the related symptoms. Ovarian cysts, except for endometrioma, usually do not interfere with pregnancy and fertility.
When do ovarian cysts go away by themselves?
The functional type of ovarian cysts usually goes away within 2 to 3 menstrual cycles without seeking any medical treatment. For other types of ovarian cysts, recovery time varies depending on different factors such as type of cyst, treatment, severity, and patient’s age.
Can ovarian cysts prevent pregnancy?
Not all types of ovarian cysts can prevent pregnancy. Endometrioma cysts make conception difficult, and polycystic ovaries can be a potent reason for pregnancy prevention.
Can ovarian cysts cause infertility?
Yes, ovarian cysts can cause infertility. Functional cysts in the ovaries make it very unlikely to lose fertility. But, other types of cysts, particularly endometrioma, can lead to infertility if left untreated.
The information contained in this post is for educational purposes only. Always consult your primary care doctor before using the remedies that are provided. The information is provided by The Hidden Cures and while we do timely, in-depth research on the information that we provide to you, everything stated may not be up to date or accurate from the time it was written.