Women in the United States have been reported to have more than one million cases of PID. Among such a large number of cases, one out of every eight suffering women is at risk of pregnancy complications.
Table of Contents
STDs usually spread pelvic inflammatory disease. Therefore, bacteria responsible for this disease can quickly enter the reproductive system and cause severe complications. It is crucial to receive proper treatment to reduce chronic reproductive complications associated with PID. Here we’ll discuss proven home remedies for PID to ensure effective recovery from its symptoms.
What Is Pelvic Inflammatory Disease or PID?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) refers to bacterial infection affecting the reproductive organs among females. The main organs affected by these diseases include the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.
The bacteria responsible for PID is spread through sexual activities. PID is often called the worsening condition of untreated sexually transmitted diseases or STDs such as chlamydia and gonorrhea. Besides STDs, if females suffer from some other type of reproductive infection, they are also at more risk of getting PID.
Pelvic inflammatory disorder, if left untreated, can lead to severe complications such as difficulty in getting pregnant. It has been studied that about 12 percent of females who have experienced PID at any stage of life face challenges in getting pregnant. Therefore, it is always recommended to prevent and treat PID effectively.
Causes Of PID
Many factors can cause PID because bacteria can gain entry into the female reproductive system in several ways. Let’s look at some potential causes leading to pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Bacteria spread through unprotected sex, such as gonorrhea and chlamydia. It occurs when a person is engaged in excessive sexual activities and has more than one partner.
- Bacteria enter the reproductive system due to disturbed cervical layers. It can occur when a female passes through the phase of menstruation, abortion, miscarriage, or after childbirth. Excessive use of douches can also alter the cervical layer, making it possible for bacteria to enter the female body.
- In some conditions, during birth control, using an intrauterine device (IUD) can also allow infectious bacteria into the reproductive tract and cause inflammation. But this rarely occurs, and females are at risk of getting PID for the first three weeks after inserting an IUD.
Symptoms Of PID
PID symptoms cannot be recognized easily. Females often learn about this infection when they suffer from chronic pain and experience difficulty getting pregnant. Many cases are reported when females suffer from PID without any symptoms.
However, below symptoms mentioned can show their association with PID.
- Lower abdominal pain
- Pelvic pain
- Abnormal vaginal discharge
- Vaginal itching
- Pungent smell with vaginal discharge
- Vaginal bleeding during intercourse or between menstruation
- Painful intercourse
- Frequent urination
- Difficult urination
Top Proven Home Remedies For PID
Women looking for at-home treatment for PID should analyze all the ways mentioned below for alleviating the PID symptoms.
Raw garlic can be an effective home remedy for curing pelvic inflammatory disease.
How Does Garlic Work For PID?
Garlic has potent antibacterial properties, which make it effective in the recovery of bacterial infections such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). It cures PID by killing the bacteria causing PID and alleviates pelvic inflammation among females. Garlic destroys infectious bacteria and maintains the bacterial culture of beneficial bacteria in the body. The boosted culture of good bacteria reduces the chances of PID recurrence and speeds up the removal of infectious bacteria from the body.
How To Use Garlic For PID?
To alleviate the symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease, garlic should be applied directly to the infected area. Follow the below-mentioned steps to get the maximum healing abilities of garlic for recovering from infection.
- Peel, chop and mince the garlic to get a paste.
- Add the garlic paste to the heated olive oil in a frypan.
- Fry the garlic paste with oil until it turns brown.
- Filter out the oil from the fried mixture.
- Take some cotton balls and dip them in the extracted oil.
- Insert a soaked cotton ball into the vagina.
- Let the cotton ball fix in its position for about 2 hours.
- Remove the cotton ball and rinse the area with water.
- Keep doing the same procedure daily until you recover properly.
Yogurt with boosted probiotic culture is often recommended for bacterial infections such as PID.
How Does Yogurt Work For PID?
Yogurt contains a significant amount of live cultures of good bacteria. On entering the body, these bacterial cultures help remove harmful or infectious bacteria from the body, thus recovering infections, including PID. Probiotic yogurt also can restore vaginal pH, making it more effective for treating pelvic inflammatory disease.
How To Use Yogurt For PID?
To make the live bacterial culture of probiotic yogurt effective for PID, there is a need for direct contact with yogurt and the affected area. Follow the below-mentioned steps for using probiotic yogurt for PID.
- Take some cotton balls and soak them in yogurt.
- Insert a cotton ball into the vagina for a few hours.
- Remove the cotton ball and rinse the area with cold water.
- Repeat this process until you recover from PID.
Turmeric has antibacterial properties due to a specific component, curcumin. Due to these antibacterial properties, turmeric can effectively treat pelvic inflammatory disease.
How Does Turmeric Work For PID?
Turmeric is healing for alleviating the symptoms of PID by accomplishing the following purposes.
- Curcumin is present in a considerable amount of turmeric. This component makes the body ready to combat bacterial infection by offering antibacterial properties.
- Turmeric increases the body’s immune system, effectively removing bacteria from the body.
How To Use Turmeric For PID?
Stir a teaspoon of turmeric powder into a glass of milk. Drink this mixture and continue consuming turmeric until you get relief from PID symptoms.
Take A Sitz Bath
Sitz baths have long been used for treating various conditions, including Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID).
How Does A Sitz Bath Work For PID?
Sitz bath proves beneficial effects for PID by offering the following properties.
- Hot sitz baths alleviate pelvic pain due to PID.
- It relaxes the pelvic muscles and alleviates different symptoms of PID.
How To Take Sitz Bath For PID?
Follow the below-mentioned steps for taking a sitz bath for PID.
- Pour hot water into the water bath and add lavender essential oil.
- After mixing the water well, sit at waist level for about ten minutes.
- Replace the hot water with cold water.
- Spend another 10 minutes soaking in the cold bath.
- Repeat the same process daily until you get to recover from PID.
Use Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another potent home remedy that alleviates various PID symptoms.
How Does Tea Tree Oil Work For PID?
Tea tree oil has potent antibacterial properties, which help in combating infectious bacteria. It effectively alleviates symptoms of PID, such as pungent order with vaginal discharge.
How To Use Tea Tree Oil For PID?
Tea tree oil should never be used internally. When applied externally, through the skin, this oil must be diluted with water and then used. Otherwise, allergic reactions can occur. For using tea tree oil for PID, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Mix three drops of tea tree oil into a bowl of warm water.
- Splash the mixture and rinse well afterward to allow the oil to heal the vaginal area.
- Repeat the same procedure daily until you recover entirely fom PID symptoms.
Use Castor Oil
Castor oil can effectively alleviate PID symptoms, including pain and inflammation.
How Does Castor Oil Work For PID?
A specific component known as ricinoleic acid is present in a considerable amount of castor oil. This acid has potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Due to these properties, castor oil can help a female recover from PID.
How To Use Castor Oil For PID?
Follow the below-mentioned step for applying castor oil to alleviate PID symptoms.
- Take a piece of cloth and fold it into multiple layers.
- Pour the castor oil into this folded cloth.
- Provide heat to the cloth by keeping it in a microwave or another way.
- Pour the castor oil on the folded cloth to allow it to permeate the different layers.
- Place the cloth on your lower abdomen for at least half an hour while lying down face upwards.
- Repeat this procedure until you recover completely from PID.
Echinacea can be a good herbal and home remedy for relieving PID.
How Does Echinacea Work For PID?
Echinacea has potent antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which allow them to combat the infectious bacteria causing PID. This herb also enhances the body’s immune functioning, allowing efficient recovery from pelvic inflammatory disease.
How To Use Echinacea For PID?
You can drink echinacea tea and also take its supplements. When going with tea, drink one cup of echinacea tea for a week and then take a break for a week. Echinacea supplements should be taken on the recommendation of a doctor. This remedy is not for females suffering from immunity ailments.
Consume Baking Soda
Baking soda is widely used for infections which can be controlled by altering the body’s pH, which makes it effective for curing PID.
How Does Baking Soda Work For PID?
Baking soda works in two ways to alleviate the symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), as mentioned below:
- Baking soda, due to its alkaline properties, recovers vaginal pH. The bacteria responsible for causing pelvic inflammatory disease often alter the vaginal pH and make it acidic. Baking soda restores this pH and helps reduce the symptoms caused by an acidic vagina.
- Baking soda can also help remove infectious bacteria from the body. Eventually, good bacteria will win out over infected bacteria, and females can recover efficiently.
How To Use Baking Soda For PID?
Simply make a solution by mixing baking soda and water. Drink this mixture until your PID symptoms recover efficiently.
Get A Pelvic Muscle Massage
Massage is another effective home remedy for alleviating the symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.
How Does A Massage Work For PID?
Pelvic strengthening massage boosts blood circulation toward the pelvic region. Boosted blood circulation relaxes pelvic muscles, reduces pain, and helps in quick healing.
How To Use A Massage For PID?
Follow the steps below to alleviate the PID symptoms with a massage.
- Make a combination of essential oil such as Lavender and carrier oil such as olive oil for massage.
- Lie down on any surface and start massaging the lower abdominal area with the oil mixture in a circular motion.
- Repeat the same procedure thrice and daily until you recover from PID.
Increase Vitamin C Consumption
Vitamin C, a potent antioxidant, has always been considered effective for preventing and recovering various health ailments, including PID.
How Does Vitamin C Work For PID?
Vitamin C offers potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, effectively reducing PID symptoms. Further, vitamin C boosts cervical collagen production, which hinders the attachment of infectious bacteria to the cervical cells. It allows the rapid removal of harmful bacteria from the body and the recovery of PID effectively.
How To Use Vitamin C For PID?
You can increase your vitamin C intake by consuming vitamin C-enriched food such as grapes, oranges, strawberries, and leafy veggies.
Increase Beta-Carotene Consumption
Eating food enriched with beta carotene is one of the effective home remedies for PID.
How Does Beta-Carotene Work For PID?
Beta-carotene offers anti-inflammatory properties. It also strengthens the mucus membrane and cells of the cervix, which makes it effective in recovering PID symptoms.
How To Use Beta-Carotene For PID?
You can increase the beta-carotene intake by eating carrots, spinach, sweet potatoes, kale, butternut squash, cantaloupe, and apricots.
All the home remedies discussed above can eliminate infectious bacteria from the body and recover the damage to reproductive cells caused by PID. If you are taking medical treatment for curing PID, these home remedies can boost your recovery and help quickly alleviate PID symptoms. If you are taking some medications and therapy for other bodily organs, must recommend your doctor before taking any home remedy.
The information contained in this post "11 Top Proven Home Remedies For PID: Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases" is for educational purposes only. Always consult your primary care doctor before using the remedies that are provided. The information is provided by The Hidden Cures and while we do timely, in-depth research on the information that we provide to you, everything stated may not be up to date or accurate from the time it was written.